Monday, April 29, 2013

Cannoli Cupcakes

Cannoli-Cupcakes
Cannoli Cupcakes with Chocolate Ganache



          I am not a baker!! (I express emphatically). It really is true that some people can cook about anything but when it comes to baking it is a separate art form that only a few enjoy and can master. I am not one of those. I do not enjoy baking most of the time. It requires too much precise science what with measuring and being exact in timing and portions. Now, don't get me wrong I truly enjoy eating baked goods. In fact, I have such a sweet tooth that if I do not have at least the smallest bit of chocolate once a day I go insane. What made me venture off the path into baking this time you may ask? Well, I saw someone post something about Cannolis and then another post about cupcakes and decided, what the hell, I'm going to make Cannoli Cupcakes. I'm not going to pretend to say that this task was simple or easy. (Again, not a fan of this). But with patience and determination I completed what surprisingly turned out to be a nice dessert.

 Cannoli Cupcakes with Chocolate Ganache

Ingredients:
  • 1 box store bought yellow cake mix
  • 1 pint of heavy cream
  • 1 bag small semi-sweet chocolate morsels
  • 1 15 oz container of ricotta cheese
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 6 maraschino cherries, drained and chopped
  • 1 tbs vanilla
  • 3 eggs
  • Vegetable oil
  • 1 tbs of cinnamon

          Make cake recipe following directions on box using the cake mix, eggs, and vegetable oil. Add 1 tbs of vanilla extract. Cook according to directions on box for cupcakes. Meanwhile take ricotta cheese, powdered sugar and mix until smooth. (This is where I had difficulty getting the right consistency). I don't know if it was the moisture in the cheese or from the sugar but I had to add some cornstarch to get a thicker cannoli filling. Add chopped maraschino and a small handful of the chocolate morsels. Mix and put in fridge to chill. Once your cupcakes are out of the oven and cooled enough take a knife and carefully dig out a hole in the center of each cupcake. Take your cannoli filling out of the fridge and carefully scoop into the center of each cake. Place back into the fridge to cool.


       Next take the heavy cream in a saucepan and cook slightly on the stove over medium high heat until it just starts to boil. Take the rest of the chocolate morsels and place in a bowl. Carefully pour the heated cream over the chocolate, add the cinnamon, and whisk together lightly until a nice shiny chocolate ganache forms. The longer it sits the thicker it gets. Finally take each cupcake and invert into the ganache coating all the tops. Repeat if necessary. Place on plate and cool in the fridge until ready to serve. Viola! My version of Cannoli Cupcakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment