Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Ras El Hanout Chicken -(Moroccan Chicken Dish)


Moroccan-Chicken


     So my friends at foodies+ on Google+, specifically Azlin Bloor, had posed the question to all of us to make a dish for the Ramadan and the Eid feast.  I, being adventurous and willing to try new things, decided I too would like to participate and agreed to give it a try and make something special.  So here is my entry into the world of Moroccan cuisine.  Here is my take on a traditional Moroccan dish using a spice mixture you will find in Moroccan cuisine; Ras El Hanout.  Ras El Hanout is a combination of a bunch of spices such as: cardamom, cinnamon, clove, chili pepper, coriander, cumin, turmeric, and a bunch more depending on the provider of the rub.  This recipe was given to me by my friend Azlin Bloor to test and try out for the Eid feast.  I must say it was very simple and packed full of flavor.  I accompanied it with an olive oil and roasted garlic couscous.  Please enjoy my take on Ras El Hanout Chicken.

Ingredients:

  • 2 boneless chicken breasts
  • 2 tbs olive oil
  • 2 tbs Ras El Hanout rub
  • 1 fresh thyme sprig
  • 2 cloves of crushed garlic
  • 1/2 white onion
  • 1/2 green bell pepper
  • 2 cups chicken stock
  • 1/4 cup of fresh lemon juice
  • Salt/pepper

     The night before I planned on cooking this I placed the chicken breasts in a Ziploc bag and added 2 tbs of olive oil, the Ras El Hanout rub, 2 cloves of crushed garlic, and the leaves from the sprig of thyme.  Some salt and pepper and I mixed it up and let it marinate overnight in the fridge. 

     The day of cooking I took the chicken out of the bag and browned in a large sauté pan in a little oil then removed. In same pan I took the 1/2 white onion cut into strips and the green pepper cut into strips and sautéed until tender.  Poured in the 2 cups of chicken stock, the lemon juice, and the marinade left over in the bag and brought to a boil.  Place the chicken back into the pan and simmered on medium heat for about 30-45 minutes.  Served over some fresh garlic and olive oil couscous and you have an amazing dish representing Moroccan cuisine and the Eid feast.  I must say the aromas coming out of my kitchen were fantastic.  The tastes of the multiple spices complimented each other on the chicken.  Thank you Azlin!!



No comments:

Post a Comment