There is something about fresh fruit that just makes you want to bake something sweet. I found these delicious black plums at my local grocery store. I thought; why not make a great pie sort of dessert. This crostata was full of flavor and just had just the right amount of sweetness. I did find, however, that I needed to add just a bit more sugar. Once the plums were cooked, they became a bit bitter. So I would recommend adding just a little over a cup of brown sugar to cut the bitterness. Plum Crostata.
- 4 black plums
- Zest from 1/2 orange
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 1 pie crust
- Pinch salt
- 1 egg
1. Slice the plums into equal slivers. Place into a bowl.
2. Zest half a large orange into the bowl.
3. Toss with the brown sugar, lemon juice, and pinch of salt. Let sit about 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile roll out the pie crust. (I just bought a frozen store one).
5. Fan out the slices of plums as picture below. Fold up the edges of the pie crust as picture.
6. Whip the egg with some water and brush over the outer edge of the pie crust and sprinkle with some sugar.
7. Bake in oven on a tinfoil covered sheet at 350 degrees for roughly 20-25 minutes or until pie crust has browned.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20-25