Sunday, May 26, 2013

Thai Drunken Noodles or (Pad Kee Mao)

Thai-Drunken-Noodles
Thai Drunken Noodles
 
      I have actually had this dish before in a Thai restaurant and loved it.  This is another traditional street food dish that I've been told is easily found in Thailand.  This dish has become one of my favorites.  I don't know why it is called Drunken Noodles.  I researched and the actual translation of Pad Kee Mao is "Shit Drunk Noodle".  There are many stories as to why it is called this.  Some say it's because the combination of ingredients awaken your pores and allows you to sweat out your toxins from a long nights of drinking.  (Trust me, I can see this as a reason).  Another source states that the dish is called this because the ingredients are "sauced" themselves.  Finally, I've heard that it is called Drunken Noodles because it was a favorite of drunks during the night as a great source of protein after drinking before heading to bed.  Whatever it is, it is a spectacular dish.  As a bachelor I can truthfully say that after a night of drinking and debauchery, this dish is a great body fueller. The combination of spicy from the chilies to sweetness from the mixture of the sauces and sugar are tasty.  The freshness of the vegetables and hint of basil and ginger are wonderful.  I love this dish.  I mean, I truly love this dish.  It awakens all your senses.  I could smell this dish throughout my house before tasting it.  Once tasting it, all my tastes buds came alive within my mouth.  The sweet, the sour, the hot, and the cold, all together.  Serves 2 with some leftovers.

Thai Drunken Noodles
 
Ingredients:

  • Sirloin steak, (cut into thin strips)
  • Thai rice noodles
  • 1/2 red bell pepper chopped
  • 1 cup broccoli
  • 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes halved
  • 1 chili diced
  • Fresh basil diced
  • 1 clove garlic diced
  • 1 tsp fresh ginger diced
  • 2 tbs fish sauce
  • 2 tbs oyster sauce
  • 2 tbs soy sauce
  • 2 tbs rice wine
  • 1 tbs brown sugar
  • handful diced green onion

     Take the rice noodles and place them in a bowl.  Pour boiling water over them and let them soak until they become tender.  They require no cooking.  Drain and sat aside.  In a large wok over medium heat drizzle in a little vegetable oil.  Once hot enough, sauté the cut steak until nice and brown.  Remove from wok and sat aside.  toss in bell pepper, broccoli, chili, and tomatoes and sauté until nice and tender.  Next add in the garlic, basil, and ginger and sauté until fragrant.  Next combine all the sauces and pour into the wok.  Add the sugar and mix in.  Simmer and toss in the drained noodles.  Stir fry for a couple minutes and toss in the green onion.  Serve immediately. 




No comments:

Post a Comment