Thursday, June 27, 2013

Thai Basil Chicken or (Gai Pad Krapow)

Thai-Basil-Chicken
Thai Basil Chicken

     It's that time again where I venture into Asian cuisine.  Thai Basil Chicken is a famous chicken dish that you can find on the streets of Thailand at any food vendor.  A quick delicious meal that relies on a few key ingredients one of which I was unable to find here in the States.  Thailand has its own varieties of a wonderful herb that is one of my favorites; Basil.  Thai has a couple different types of Basil one of which they call the Holy basil.  Apparently it is much stronger and spicier than your run of the mill Italian Basil. Not that Italian Basil is bad; I grow it year round inside my house along with some other herbs.  So, because I was unable to find Thai Basil, I substituted regular Italian Basil and a bunch of it.  

     This is another one of those dishes that just exemplifies the wonderful variety of flavors that Thai cooking can bring together.  This is simple and quick but so full of flavor.  It is hot, sweet, and fresh.  I added a handful of fresh steamed green beans just to give it some more texture and volume.  This has quickly become a new go to meal. 

Enjoy my take on a Thai classic, Thai Basil Chicken.

Ingredients:
 
  • 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 1/2-2 cups cooked Jasmine rice
  • 1 1/2 tbs fish sauce
  • 1 1/2 tbs soy sauce
  • 1 1/2 tbs oyster sauce
  • 4 cloves garlic
  • 2 chilies
  • 1 tbs brown sugar
  • bunch of basil
  • green beans
   
     First slice the chicken breasts into thin slices.  Next mince the garlic and diced chili peppers together.  In a hot wok over high heat pour in some vegetable oil and heat to smoking.  Toss in chicken and cook thoroughly.  Mix in the minced garlic and chili peppers and sauté. Pour in the soy, fish, and oyster sauce.  Mix in the brown sugar and basil leaves.  Mix in the green beans and rice.  Mix around until well incorporated.  Serves 2-3. I may not be from Thailand but I am shortly becoming a great Thai cook.



No comments:

Post a Comment