Tuesday, June 18, 2013

A "Recipe" for Relaxation and Fun



     As a small town country boy, (I won’t admit it but I guess it's true), you have to find some of the best ways to enjoy life away from the big cities.  As this blog is about "Recipes for Life", I thought I would share one of my ways of relaxing and enjoying some of the littlest things that you can get out of life.  Especially now that it is summer, my favorite time of year.   I have always been fond of swimming.  I'm a water sign, I was a lifeguard growing up, and I was a fanatic at diving.  Growing up in West Virginia my house was right on the river in our small town.  Not the greatest river, but a river none the less.  A couple miles away was part of the National Park and there were many areas along this river where one could find multiple rope swings and great places to lie along the banks of the river enjoying nature at its finest.

     Each summer many people travel to my area of WV just for its rivers.  Tubing, canoeing, white water rafting, fishing, you name it, we have it.  Our rivers are fantastic.  The clear mountainous water that runs down from above. The fresh summer air with its hint of humidity and floral accents wafting through the air.  What better ways to sit back, relax, and spend a nice summer day outdoors. I try my hardest every weekend to make it down to the river, if not for just lying there soaking up the sun.  I even at times try to get out of work early on Fridays just to have some extra time.  I love the river.  I can float there all afternoon.  Drink in one hand and music hopefully playing around me.  Soaking up the sun and enjoying one of the best places to relax and enjoy nature. 




     I cannot fathom any better way to spend a hot summer day than on the river.  Whether with friends or by oneself, it is truly a great way to vent and let your cares wash away.  I have also found that the river waters can have a sort of "healing" affect on you after a night of debauchery.  My friends and I have started a little tradition each beginning of summer where we go to Tubapalooza.  A fun filled exciting day of many people tying off each other’s tubes, attaching a cooler or ice filled raft, and floating down the river on the rapids singing, laughing, joking, and having a grand ole time.


Tubers waiting to hit the river

Myself waiting to hit the rapids

Hold on tight

Just floating too is relaxing
 
Swimming at a variety of different holes
 
Games being played on the banks
 


     Whether you live in the city or in the middle of now where, find what it is you enjoy that can utilize what nature has given us.  Try to enjoy the things in life that are free and do not cost a dime.  Why not utilize what our surroundings have given us.  Many times nothing beats the littlest thing right out our front door.

No comments:

Post a Comment