Monday, October 14, 2013

If Memory Serves- Chicken Olevano

Chicken-Olevano
Chicken Olevano Pasta
 
     In honor of my Aunt Joan, (my father’s sister), she emailed me this recipe years ago when she was still with us.  We used to email each other many times a month, whether it was pictures, jokes, or family history.  She was helping me at times with information pertaining to the Irish side of our family.  I have many many fond memories of my Aunt Joan.  I, with my parents and brothers, would spend many summers up at her and my Uncle Danny's lake house in PA with them and my cousins.  I loved it up there.  It was such an amazing place to learn to swim, sail, and vacation.  My Aunt Joan had such an infectious laugh and she loved to tell stories.  One such story, that she so happened to email me once, was about a local priest of their church.  In fact while I was cleaning out my email folders I came across this email and thought, what a perfect find not only because it was from her, but because it included a recipe that I could make in memory of her. 

     She titled this dish "Father DiLillo's Chicken Olevano".  As the story goes, this priest made this dish using solely the olive oil specifically from the Olevano commune in Italy where he was from.  She specifically said it was also his family that made this olive oil.  Sadly, I had to use my own olive oil that was available but made this dish according to her directions.  Her email continued on by stating that she was giving me this recipe so I could recreate it for my mother, (whom is Italian), who had this dish while staying one summer with my Aunt Joan and she apparently loved and raved about this dish.  Funny thing is that my Aunt Joan was actually eating the leftovers next to her computer as she was writing this email.  (She specifically had to inform me of that and even added the oooohs and aaaahs and yummy noises). This weekend I decided to have my parents over for dinner and make this special dish. So here goes: If memory serves, in honor of my Aunt Joan and her friend Father DiLillo- Chicken Olevano.

Ingredients:
  • 3 lg Chicken breasts
  • Balsamic vinegar
  • Olive oil
  • Lemon pepper
  • 2 cloves diced garlic
  • 1/2 diced white onion
  • Parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 green bell pepper
  • 1/2 red bell pepper
  • 2 small yellow squash cut into strips
  • 1 cup diced baby portabella mushrooms
  • 1/2 cup chicken stock
  • 1/4 cup white wine
  • Pasta alla chitarra
  • Salt/pepper

     Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Take the thawed out chicken and place in a dish large enough to marinate in. Brush all chicken with some balsamic vinegar, then olive oil, the diced/crushed garlic, and some sprinkle of the lemon pepper.  Toss with the diced onion and let marinate for at least an hour.   Meanwhile julienne the green pepper, red pepper, and the squash.  Dice up the mushrooms. Place chicken in a baking dish and cover with the peppers, squash, and mushrooms.  Sprinkle on some parmesan cheese.  Pour in the chicken stock and white wine.

 

 Cover with tinfoil and bake in a 375 degree oven for 50 minutes. Remove from oven toss with your favorite pasta and serve.  Serves 4 people.  Thank you Aunt Joan.  Memories of you were had by all this evening at dinner.  We talked, laughed, and even remembered the good times.  Miss you as always.

Mom enjoying dinner 

Dad remembering his sister
 
My Aunt Joan 
 
 Aunt Joan and my father
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment