Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Grandma Sainato's Italian Greens Soup

Grandma Sainato's Italian Greens Soup
     I know what you are thinking, "that is a pretty long name for a soup", but I remember this soup being made by my grandmother and I used to call it her greens soup.  Actually it is just a simple green and beans soup that anyone can make.  She used to tell me it was Italian and like most of her soups she just called it Minestra.  Every soup she made that was of Italian origin was called Minestra, with the exception of Pasta Fagioli.  Minestra is just one way of saying "soup" in Italian.  I googled a greens soup and there are truly soups made with greens in Italy.  I used to love this soup when I was little.  Roughly around the early teen years when she moved in with us I started to hate it.  I don't know what it was but the taste just didn't sit well with me.  After I graduated from college and she passed away this dish disappeared from my parents house.  My mother never made it, as she just didn't seem to have the will power to make it again.  Fast-forward about 10 years and I decide to revive it to my mother’s excitement.  This soup is one of my family’s traditional soups that had been made prior to my existence.  It takes only about 15 minutes to make.  Let it simmer for about an hour and you are ready to enjoy such a delicious dish that you will be amazed what little goes into it.  I am telling you this will become one of your family’s favorites. Just ask my mother, she was so happy to finally have another bowl of this after years of missing it. Italian Greens Soup.

Ingredients:
  • 1/2-1 cup fresh chopped up Pancetta
  • 64oz chicken broth/stock
  • 1/2 white onion
  • 1 clove garlic
  • Head of Kale chopped, (originally Endive but couldn't find it at my local store)
  • 2 cups cooked white rice
  • 1 10oz can Cannellini beans
  • Olive Oil
  • Salt/pepper

In a large stockpot or Dutch oven drizzle in a little olive oil.  Sauté chopped Pancetta and onion together until the Pancetta becomes a bit crispy and the onion get cooked through.  Toss in chopped garlic and chopped Kale and cook down until Kale has wilted.  Pour in the chicken broth and bring to a simmer.  Meanwhile in a separate pot cook the white rice in a bit of chicken broth.  (I used minute rice as it is quicker and full proof without starch). After about 45 minutes to an hour of the soup simmering, I add in the cooked rice and the drained Cannellini beans.  Simmer for about 15 minutes, salt and pepper to taste, and serve.  Sprinkle a little Parmesan cheese on top and enjoy.  My Grandmother would be very happy about this soup.  Even though we argued and yelled at each other we could always make each other laugh. Love and miss you Grandma!



Grandma and I at college graduation
 



No comments:

Post a Comment