Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Cranberry Hot Toddy

Hot-Toddy
Cranberry Hot Toddy


     In the spirit of the upcoming Thanksgiving Holiday who isn't used to seeing cranberry sauce spread out on their dining room table.  From a delicate homemade sauce with fresh berries, to what is typically found in my family's home, the blob of can jelly with its ridges indented from the can sliced up and placed on a platter. (Sadly, not very many people in my house enjoy cranberry sauce).  So I thought what about a drink made with cranberries. I mean who isn't already toasting the festive holiday?  Who isn't already a little tipsy when carving their turkey?  What uncle isn't yelling at the television due to a foul called during the football game as he absentmindedly spills a bit of his drink?  So I took a traditional cold remedy drink in our family: The Hot Toddy and placed a twist on it for the special day.  I remember my grandmother or parents drinking a Hot Toddy when they got sick or congested.  I remember my great aunt and uncle secretly sneaking them at all hours of the day.  A Hot Toddy is warming, spicy; it awakens your taste buds and allows you to come alive, or at least your mucus membranes from being sick. A traditional Hot Toddy is just hot water and whiskey.  We always used hot tea. So here goes a Thanksgiving twist on a classic cold nights drink: Cranberry Hot Toddy

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup hot tea (any choice is suitable)
  • 1/3 cup cranberry juice
  • 1 shot whiskey (I used Bushmill's Irish Whiskey)
  • 1 tbs honey
  • Juice from 1 slice of lemon
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • Sugar for sweetened tea 

    This is a simple recipe that really has no measurements.  I tried to simplify it as much as possible for just one glass.  Take your cup of hot tea and heat it in the microwave.  Add in the cranberry juice, lemon juice, and whiskey.  Slowly stir in the honey.  Garnish with a cinnamon stick if preferred and serve.  Change the measurements around for as many glasses as you wish to make.  You could even have a whole pot of hot tea and start mixing separate Hot Toddy's right there at the serving table.  Just place your favorite whiskey bottle, cranberry juice, and other condiments next to and mix up as you serve. It will taste just like the holiday seasons. Cheers!


2 comments:

  1. I think my husband would love this one! I love the tea and cranberry, and I know he'd like the whiskey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you like it Kathy. Give it a try. Let me know.

      Delete