Sunday, April 13, 2014

Spiced Up Mini Corn Dogs

Corndog
Spiced Up Mini Corndogs

     For the month of April 2014 my Google+ community, Foodies+, decided it was Street Food Month.  As for being from the States, we have a multitude of different street food vendors.  You can find any type of cultural food on the streets.  Many vendors from all around the world have food venders in the States. Whether it is a cart, buggy, truck, or stand, you name it you can probably find it.  But I thought to myself what would constitute an American Street food.  I sat back and thought about all the different types of American festivals we have, from state fairs to local celebrations.  What specific food can you find at most any festival here in the states?  And then it came to me, the great American Corndog.  A cross between a hotdog and a southern corn fritter.  Deep fried on a stick and dipped in a multitude of different condiments.  What better street food can you think of than something deep fried and place on a stick for your convenience?  Here is my version of the American Corndog.  I changed it up a bit by making some spicy kicked up mini ones with two different dipping sauces.  Please enjoy my; Spiced Up Mini Corndogs.

Ingredients:
  • Standard hotdogs
  • 1 1/4 cup flour
  • 3/4 cup cornmeal
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 4 tbs sugar
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/4 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup fresh corn
  • 1/2 jalapeno pepper

     Cut your hotdog into threes.  I just used a standard bun length hotdog.  Use  whatever  you prefer.  In a bowl mix together the flour, cornmeal, salt, sugar, and baking powder.  Stir in both eggs and milk until you have a mixture similar to pancake mix.  In a blender or food processor pulse together your fresh corn and jalapeno pepper.  I removed the seeds but if you like it very spicy keep them in. Stir this mixture into the batter.  Take regular wooden skewers that have been soaking in water to avoid being burned.  I used only three because you will reuse them as you go on.  Stick the skewer into one segment of the hot and dip into the corn mixture. 

     I used a wok to deep fry these because I knew I could regulate the temperature of the oil and knew it would cook quickly.  Use a deep skillet or fryer if you like.  Just make sure you have enough oil that the dogs can be flipped and are floating in the oil.



     Quickly fry the mini corndogs until nice and golden brown on all sides.  I did three at a time, which is why I only needed three skewers.  Carefully slip the dog off the skewer directly into the oil to fry.  Drain on a paper towel lined plate and serve.  I used a nice combination of spicy honey mustard as well as molasses ketchup for dipping.  Enjoy my version of an American classic corndog. Serves quite a bit of people as the corn mixture makes enough for at least 16 dogs or more.  Cheers!




No comments:

Post a Comment