Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Split Pea Soup


Pea-Soup


     So I received a fantastic Irish Pub cookbook for Christmas and decided to try my hand at a simple yet delicious soup. Split Pea soup is so simple but yet full of flavor. I had never had it before, not even on my trip to Ireland, or from my families recipes, but thought I should give it a try. I took the original recipe and cut it into half afraid I may not like it. So here goes; Split Pea Soup.

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup split peas
  • 1 tbs olive oil
  • 1/4 white onion diced
  • 1 small carrot chopped
  • 1/2 celery stalk
  • 2 cup chicken stock
  • 1 3/4 cup water
  • 1/2 cup cubed ham
  • Pinch thyme
  • Pinch marjoram
  • 1 small bay leaf
  • Salt/pepper to taste

1. Rinse the peas under cold running water. Place in medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil for 3 minutes skimming off foam on the surface. Drain.

2. In same sauce pan drizzle olive oil and saute the onion until tender.

3. Add in carrot and celery and continue to cook.

4. Add back in the peas, chicken stock, and water.

5. Bring to a boil, add in ham, thyme, marjoram, and bay leaf. Lower heat and simmer for 1 hour.

     This soup was so full of flavor. Wasn't just like eating a plate of peas. The ham, the herbs, and the heartiness of it all was fantastic. Served with a fresh slice of warm soda bread and butter and this meal was fulfilling.

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Serves: 3-4




No comments:

Post a Comment