Tuesday, September 3, 2013

General Tso's Chicken


General-Tso
General Tso
 
     Here comes the Chinese food kick again.  It is just one of those things that I love to eat and cook at the same time.  Its simplicity is great and the flavors are fantastic.  What better item to prepare than a traditional take-out item. We have all had it so don't lie.  General Tso's Chicken. 
 
     Now there is some disagreement to whether or not it is a traditional Chinese item that you would find in China or just simply and item created from a traditional one to attract the American pallet.  Whatever it is it is one of my favorites.  I decided to do some research on finding the best way to make this dish.  I looked at a couple authentic Asian recipes for this dish, combined some aspects of each one together, and created my own version of this dish.  Let me tell you this was fantastic and had all the flavors I love from ordering this dish in my local Chinese restaurant.  A little secret I discovered while doing my search was that in a lot of dishes in China they use Ketchup as a base.  Please enjoy my take on a classic take out item: General Tso's Chicken.
 
Ingredients:
 
  • 1 large boneless skinless chicken breast
  • 2 egg whites
  • 2 tbs cornstarch
  • Vegetable oil
  • 2 tbs chicken stock
  • 3 tbs soy
  • 2 tbs rice wine
  • 2 tbs hoisin
  • 2 tbs ketchup
  • 2 tbs sugar
  • 2 chilies
  • Carrots
  • Broccoli

      Whisk together the egg whites and cornstarch to make a paste.  In a large wok pour enough vegetable oil in to fry the chicken.  Cut chicken into small bite size chunks, mix into egg white mixture, and drop into hot oil.  Fry in oil about 3-5 minutes a side until nice and golden brown.  Remove and drain on a paper towel lined plate.  I then removed the oil from the wok.  Sautéed some carrots and broccoli in the slightly oiled wok until a bit tender.  Meanwhile mixed the chicken stock, soy, rice wine, hoisin, ketchup, sugar, and chopped up chilies in a bowl.  Poured into the wok to thicken up and tossed the chicken back in to coat.  Served with some fresh made lo mein noodles.  Serves about 2-3 people. 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment