Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Gumbo

Gumbo



     Well it's that time of year when Carnivale or Mardi Gras are in full swing.  When the Lent season starts and people fast for 40 days.  I thought for the spirit of the season to make a traditional New Orleans dish.  If you have ever been to New Orleans you know that they have some of our country's best cuisine.  A combination of Cajun, Creole, French, African, etc.  You name it, it has influenced this areas dishes.  I decided to try my hand at Gumbo.  Now whether this is a Creole or Cajun version is not known to me.  I have researched that the difference is based on what you use as a thickener.  One uses okra and the other uses a roux.  One uses just seafood, the other uses a combo. A similar ingredient is the trinity of vegetables: onion, celery, and green pepper.  I'm no expert but this is my version and I hope you all like it.  It reminded me of my last trip to the bluesy city. The taste, the smell, the spirit, and the warmness that is New Orleans.  Please enjoy my version of a classic: Gumbo

Ingredients:
  • 1 chicken breast
  • 3 small Andouilli sausage links
  • 20 medium shrimp
  • 5 tbs butter
  • 5 tbs flour
  • 1/2 white onion
  • 2 small celery stalks
  • 1/2 green pepper
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1-cup beef stock
  • 2 cups chicken stock
  • 1/2 can crushed tomatoes
  • 1 lg bay leaf
  • 1 tsp thyme
  • 2 tbs Cajun seasoning
  • Hot sauce
  • Rice

     In a large Dutch oven brown your chicken breast on both sides.  Toss in your sausage and brown a little bit.  Remove and sat aside.  In same pot, (I actually did this step in another pan but you don't have to), melt your butter and whisk in your flour. 




     Whisk the roux until it turns a nice dark brown color.  Roughly about 20-25 minutes. 



     Toss in your diced onion, celery, green pepper, and garlic.  Stir around until the vegetables become softened.  Pour in your stocks, crushed tomatoes, and stir in your bay leaf, thyme, and seasoning.  Bring to a simmer.  Dice up your chicken and sausage and toss back into the pot.  Simmer on low for about 1 hour.  Before serving toss in your fresh shrimp and simmer for about 5-7 minutes until shrimp are cooked.  Serve around a nice bowl of white rice. Hope you enjoy this fantastic sample of New Orleans cuisine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment