Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Asian Style Soda Can Roast Chicken--??



Asian-Soda-Can-Chicken
Asian Soda Can Chicken
 

     The title seems a bit confusing, right? What is this Asian Soda Can Chicken thing?  Well it was something I came up with in my mind.  I thought, "I've heard of beer can chicken, but why not soda can with some accompanying spices?" I took what I thought would be good flavors to add to chicken: orange zest, ginger, garlic, and soy.  Add in the flavor of a soda and I have to admit a good tasty chicken appeared. The prep for this meal was quick and easy.  The only thing that took the longest was the cooking time.  Once this was done and I had cut into it I was amazed out how juicy this chicken was.  It had the subtle flavors of the orange, ginger, and garlic.  Nothing was too overpowering.  Delicious! Asian Style Soda Chicken.

 
Ingredients:
  • 5.5 lb chicken
  • 1/2 12oz can of soda
  • Zest of 1 mandarin
  • 2 cloves garlic crushed
  • 1 tbs minced ginger
  • 1 tsp cayenne pepper
  • Black pepper
  • Soy sauce

     Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. First I take the chicken and separate the skin from the breast and thighs of the chicken.  In a small bowl I combine the mandarin zest, garlic, ginger, cayenne, and some black pepper.  Rub the ingredients all over underneath the skin.  I then take and pour out half of the can of soda.  Place the soda can down in the middle of a Dutch Oven. Carefully take the chicken and place it on top of the soda can.  At this point the chicken will appear to be sitting down in the pot.  Take some soy sauce and generously rub it all over the outside of the entire chicken.  Do as much as you can.  Cover the Dutch oven with a tented tin foil and place in the oven. Roast for 1 hour.  Remove and rub more soy sauce over the chicken.  Roast for another 1 hour until a meat thermometer inserted into the thigh reaches 180 F.  Let rest and serve up. This chicken was so moist and delicious.  The small hints of the mandarin, garlic, ginger, and spicy pepper really gave this chicken a wonderful flavor but not overpowering. The soy sauce allowed this chicken to brown perfectly. Serves about 4-5 people.




 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment